Monday, April 01, 2013

Echo

It's funny how you lose track of time.

I don't recall exactly how long it has been since Echo came into my family. By my best guess it was about 2007. She was a foster child my brother Aaron and his wife Susanne found via a program called "Wednesday's Child." They fell in love with her cute face and desire to be a veterinarian when she grew up. After some time as a foster child, she was legally adopted, and became, officially, part of the family.

My niece Echo passed away last night, at age 15. I don't have the details and I probably won't share them here anyway, simply out of respect for my family's privacy. I just want to put something out there in remembrance.

With Aaron and his family in Idaho, and my life here in California, it was hard to really get to know Echo. Aaron and I are not close...we send weekly post cards to keep in touch and speak on the phone from time to time, but our lives are busy and our interests are so different. It's sad that this means I don't really know my niece and nephew as a result, but there's only so much bonding you can do over occasional visits and mailed-off Christmas presents. Still, from the moment she came to my brother's home, I regarded her as my niece.

I am shocked today, and sad. My heart hurts so much for Aaron and Susanne, for their son Tyson. The next few days will be a little crazy, and my parents and I will be driving to Idaho for the funeral, of course.

It came slamming into me today just how precious life is. Hug your loved ones. Try to live with peace and good thoughts. Don't be afraid to show love and give good to the world.

Shortly after Tyson and Echo came to us.

Susanne, Aaron, me, Echo, Tyson, Mom, Katie (niece).

Echo and Tyson, a couple of years ago.

1 comment:

Shae said...

Well said, Meg. Well said.