Wednesday, September 12, 2012

And Suddenly, I'm There

I told M. the Reasonable today that three-and-a-half years ago, when I weighed 220 pounds, the thought of weighing 130 was "way out there." It was completely off my radar. Even as I worked my way closer, celebrating being under 200, then in the 180s, 170s, etc., 130 seemed so elusive, so far away.

When I stopped working with G. the Meanie in July 2010, I weighed about 158. I felt really good about how far I'd come. I was wearing a size 8/10 and looking about how I looked at the end of high school, beginning of college. Not too bad, really.

I spent the next year or so going it on my own, maintaining. Maintenance is good. I felt good. I was running, strength training, wearing cute clothes.

But it wasn't goal. I was still over the weight I felt my body should be. I still struggled with running.

When I moved back to Mom and Dad's a year ago, the answer became clear. No longer worrying about rent and bills, I could use my meager income on some training. A recent lag in running had me concerned and I wanted to get the ball rolling again. I wanted to feel comfortable in the Roseville club, as I had in Stockton--where people knew who I was and knew my story.

Enter M. the Reasonable into my life. I figured, after the first few appointments, he'd get over this Nice Guy routine and start pissing me off, but that never happened. What happened instead was that I just rose to the occasion and met every task he set in front of me with determination. If I wavered, I got a simple, "You can do this!" and I soldiered on.

My body seems to like the slow lane when it comes to losing weight, and I guess this isn't a bad thing. It took a while to get from where I started with M. (crept back up to 173, eek) to goal, but here I am.

Yes!! You read that right.

Here I am.

I stepped on the scale today after a really great workout, and it stopped on 130.2. I did a double-take. Stepped off. Stepped back on. 130.2

I asked a nearby trainer to take a pic of the scale,
knowing that if I did it my iPhone would make it 130.4.

M. the Reasonable came to the trainer area with his client, so I had to wait a moment. I wasn't about to leave him out of this moment. When his client left, I walked over to show him the picture on my phone. A huge grin spread across his face as I faltered to form a coherent sentence. After a big hug and plenty of fumbling "Oh my God" statements on my part, I managed to somewhat clearly state to him my joy in this achievement.

As I always get from Mr. Reasonable, I got smiles and encouragement.

I've had this video in the works for several weeks now...the only thing missing from it is a picture of M. and I, but that will come in a few days. We're already talking about getting me on the Success Story wall at the gym.


Nothing about this journey has been easy. Reconfiguring a whole lifestyle and going from, "Ha! I don't run!" to "I can't meet you 'til I've gotten my run in, okay?" isn't something that happens overnight. There have been bruises. There has been pain. I've wanted to kick G. the Meanie and even--once--M. the Reasonable. I have cried, and I have vomited.

And I have had the satisfaction of seeing my life, my body, and my sense of self change completely, too.

Here's to health, to smashing goals, and to running with a big grin on my face. And here's to friends who cheer me on and put up with endless blog posts and brags.

Now, let me just be my loud, giddy self and shout one last word:

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That video made me all teary-eyed. I'm so happy for you, Meg!! Congratulations!!

Meg said...

Thank you! You've seen me through the entire journey, and never grown tired of my endless talking/bragging/blogging about it. And your kind words have always been appreciated, too. : )

Anonymous said...

Hi Meg, I am a long time reader and first time commenter (slapped wrist, I know!) but I just wanted to congratulate you properly!

I was tearing up at that video - you have done so well and I am in awe of your dedication to running - I just can't get started!

Can't wait to see you complete that triathlon! xoxo

Meg said...

Thank you for the comment, Amy! And the encouragement. The tri is gonna be even harder.