Sunday, January 01, 2012

Hello, 2012!

Forty-five minutes ago, I was blogging about how I must be going off the deep end, choosing to run at midnight. And then I went out there and ran.

It was just a mile. It's cold out, and I'm tired. I'm aware that running alone at night isn't the greatest idea even in a safe neighborhood like ours. I stuck to the residential streets and watched out for people driving (I saw exactly one car on the road the whole time I was out there).

The most amazing thing happened--you're going to think I'm just being maudlin, but everything I'm about to type is absolutely true (my blog promises Wild and Absolutely True, and that's what you get from me).

I enjoyed myself.

No, really.

I was pounding the pavement, feeling the little creaks and groans that come from a sleepy body doing its second run in less than 24 hours, but I was smiling. It felt good to be out there, moving. It felt right to start off 2012 by running--even just a little bitty one-miler--and I felt this deep sense of peace and joy. I've never felt that way when running. Sure, I get the standard runner's high of endorphins and "I can now commence taking over the world!!!" energy but never that all-out joy. I was smiling--laughing even. When the clock on my cell phone switched from 11:59 to 12:00, I took out my iPod headphones and listened to the fireworks going off all over the place and the loud cheers and laughter coming from nearby homes. I was alone out there but I felt so happy, so peaceful, and so not lonely. And deep in me, I felt like this year is going to be a good one. This year, I'll get my career back on track. This year, I'll overcome all of my confidence issues with running (I'm off to a good start!) and run some 5Ks.

So welcome, 2012. Let's see what we can do, shall we?

No comments: